According to the latest government data: there are 1.34 million people in Hong Kong living below the poverty line. In other words, one out of every five people fail to have their basic needs met. Although social welfare programs reduce this number by assisting nearly 300’000 people, there are still approximately 970,000 individuals (or 14.5% of the population) in Hong Kong who are currently living below the poverty line (including 400K HK households). These startling figures include 285,000 elderly individuals (that is 1 in every 3 seniors) and 190,000children (or 1 in every 5 children).
Sunshine Charity carries out a community powered “Longterm Food Support” Program. The program aims to work collaboratively with local registered NGOs to help impoverished, needy families and individuals who are living under extremely tough conditions and lack access to social support networks. We help by providing them with 6 months to a year of food and living assistance. It is hoped that this will alleviate their financial burdens, by allowing them to save their ‘food purchase money’ for emergency purposes, as needed. Sunshine Charity has began to support refugees in Hong Kong, providing the same standard of food & services as the local Hong Kong people.
The local NGOs and community centers we collaborate with are totally committed to keeping this program going as they all share our belief in the importance and basic human right of food, especially for the most urgent cases. We also have the support of many dedicated volunteers to physically put everything together on our designated packing days. We are confident that this program can go on as long as we have the required funds.
The selected potential cases guideline (cases must be under serious financial problem)
(1) With severe sickness, including Cancer, HIV/AIDS or some elderly illnesses which lead to incapable to work or their family members total lost income because of full time special care to the sickness persons
(2) Without care from family members or being abandoned by the family, e.g elderly without offspring
(3) Families with problems, for instance (new immigrants or with violence) single parent families, leaving children orphaned or families not receiving or receiving insufficient government social welfare.
This is the same address for all packaging events under the “Long Term Food Support” branch.
葵興地鐵站 (Kwai Hing MTR) A exit – 華星街8號- 華達工業中心C 座18 樓1802B 室
Unit 1802B, 18/floor, Block C, Wah Tat Ind. Centre, No. 8 Wah Sing Street,
Kwai Chung, N.T. Hong Kong
2018 Packaging Dates:
– Saturday 24th of February 2018
– Saturday 31st of March 2018
– Saturday 28th of Aril 2018
– Saturday 26th of May 2018
– Saturday 30th of June 2018
– Saturday 28th July 2018
– Saturday 25th of August 2018
– Saturday 29th of September 2018
– Saturday 27th October 2018
– Saturday 24th of November 2018
– Sunday 15th of December 2018